National Sexual Assault Hotline: 1-800-656-4673
It seems like sexual assault as related to abortion is being discussed everywhere – the news, social media, and our own social spheres. If you have survived one of the hardest things that can happen to you, however, and have recently found out that you are unexpectedly pregnant as a result of being sexually assaulted – you probably don’t want to be at the center of a political or religious debate. Your problem is real, and you need support, hope, and resources.
Here’s what you need to know
In Mississippi, abortion is now illegal in all 3 trimesters of pregnancy. There are some exceptions for this law, including cases of rape. The exception for rape only applies if you have filed a police report.
No matter the circumstances in which you became pregnant, you now have three choices: parenting your child, placing your child for adoption, or having an abortion.
Only individuals who have survived sexual assault know the reality of what it really means. Women should not be forced to become mothers. You didn’t consent, you didn’t choose this – yet, you have a choice to make. That is unimaginably hard. If you’re already overwhelmed and feeling alone, all of the choices you are facing can seem bleak. You can go through 9 months of pregnancy and endure a painful labor and delivery, or place your child for adoption which most birth moms find to be emotionally painful, or you can have an abortion which can be a difficult, painful procedure & recovery with lingering effects physically and emotionally.
We get it. After all that you have already gone through, that seems really overwhelming and incredibly difficult. It’s important to know that every choice is difficult in its own way. It is also important to know that you are capable, strong, & brave.
There is support, hope, and clarity. There are resources.
Let’s talk through some truths to consider while you are working through your decision
- A solution to your pregnancy – like an abortion clinic or adoption agency – cannot offer you all the support & healing you need.
- Regardless of what you choose for your pregnancy, it will not punish your perpetrator or prevent further assaults against other women. Your choice will not affect your perpetrator. Your choice is about you and your pregnancy.
- If you choose to parent, know that the value of a child is not, and will never be based off of who their father is. A person’s value is not and will never be ranked according to the circumstances around conception.
- Regardless of the choice you make, your hurt is not going to disappear. You need comprehensive support, beyond your pregnancy decision.
- Your reality is more difficult than some people will never understand, but your strength is bigger than that. You are strong, selfless, brave, capable, whole, and worthy.
The Cline Center can help you make a well-informed decision for your pregnancy + surround & connect you you with the support & care you need – with options like community referrals and professional counseling, regardless of your pregnancy choice
Call 601-487-1064, today.